Tuesday, March 25, 2014

To friends, near and far, who made it possible to bring Restorative Justice to IIPS and those wonderful souls I met there.....


At the President's Palace Gardens with Wanida Jiamram, a
Peace Activist in Thailand.
Since I returned from the International Institute of Peace Studies I've been busy gathering the threads of work and related tasks.  In addition to my Restorative Justice work and work in hospice, I've been asked to help edit a letter ror someone still learning English, write a recommendation for one of the Peace Studies participants, a summary report of the IIPS course from my perspective and an article for AMAN's April issue. I will post a link to that magazine when its available. 
       Dear GoFundMe friends, I have not forgotten you and will never forget the feelings that your support created within me. It was an amazing, surprising and and affirming experience to be the recipient of your generosity so that I could share Restorative Justice. My table is filled with the thank you gifts for your support, which i will get into the mail soon. 
      My time at the International Institute of Peace Studies was a very special journey and I am still digesting the insights gleaned from being with this international, inter-faith group of young people whose hearts and minds on focused on helping others and creating a more peaceful world. 
      I can never know the many unexpected ways in which I might serve or be of use until I say YES to something and step into the unknown. This experience made that clear to me again. I taught 3 full day sessions on aspects of Restorative Approaches, using interactive exercises on Deep listening, Belonging and creating Community as well as an RJ role play, some quotes that are "touchstones" for this work, work with Establishing presence, Cycles of Intervention etc. 
    But perhaps beyond all that, being transparent and vulnerable was the unexpected gift that I brought to the gathering as I shared my Jewish heritage with a room of young adults who, except for 1-2, had never met a Jewish person before. I had not planned on that, but felt compelled to do so on the very first day! Several conversations did arise from that, but as is always true, its never just the words, but our simple interactions, that convey the most information. I've been told since that the organizers feel that was the most "perfect" gift I gave. My hope is that the participants I lived with for 3 weeks will be able to tell the people they live and work with that they have met a Jewish person who did not hate Muslims, or Christians. Just as I can say that I've met Muslim people who don't carry hatred in their hearts, but are working for peace, not war and revenge. We fear one another because of stereotypes created by misinformation and misunderstanding. And because we have not met each other as individuals. Perhaps reaching out to meet one another and speaking about the truth of those encounters is one of the most powerful Restorative Approaches we can take to promote a just peace in these troubled times.

No comments:

Post a Comment